- Tendering and submission
- construction site supervision
- fire safety concept
- Philipp v. Hoyos
- Bianca Seelos
- Edmund Weber
GFS: 27.850 sqm
Value: 7,65 M €
Status: finished 2012 by sitzberger hoyos architekten
The main building of the Technical University Munich was re-erected between 1949 and 1954 by Robert Vorhoelzer after the original building by Gottfried Neureuther had been destroyed during World War II. The five-storey structure which is under monumental protection extends south to north and the main entrance is just in front of the museum Alte Pinakothek on Arcisstrasse in Munich. The top floor hosts the Vorhoelzer Forum, the administration of the faculty of architecture and the so called “White Hall” and is completely surrounded by a terrace.
sitzberger hoyos architekten is briefed to carry out the fire safety renovation, the enhancement of the main entrance, the Vorhoelzerforum and the White Hall.
In first place a fire safety concept for the common areas is elaborated and carried out during the operating university. For this purpose operation levels are installed in the 4 m high hallways. In order to achieve a clear appearance of all hallways we integrate a plasterboard ceiling with the help of wide span bearers. The concept is completed with a fire alarm system, wall hydrants and an electronic-acoustic alarm system. At the same time all sanitary units on one vertical string are renovated according to TU standards.
For the main entrance horden cherry lee architects, London and sitzberger hoyos architekten develop a new signage concept: a small number of different materials and colours combined with special light effects offer a clear orientation to the visitor who enters the refurbished and enhanced patio of the main entrance. The CI blue colour of the university can be found again in the design of the glass cube on the front steps (design: ediundsepp).
The rehabilitation of the Vorhoelzer Forum is based on the planning of the institute of Prof. Fink, which converts this part of the building in one of the central points of the Technical University. The former appearance of the premises in an industrial style now shows a clear and brilliant white and offers a foyer with 20 working places, a convention hall for 100 persons, the offices of the deanery of architecture and a café with views over the city of Munich. Everything is elaborated in refined way: epoxy polyester coated screed, brilliant white covered walls, discreetly fixed furniture, large format glass elements and reduced ceiling lighting which sums up to an ample and representative forum for the technical university.
The north-eastern part of the fifth floor is used as workspace by students, called the “white hall”. Rehabilitation takes place during operating university. Openings for smoke extraction are integrated in the ceiling, with simultaneous acoustic insulation. White tubular frames are used for mezzanines, new heating, better electric and IT equipment as well as an innovative lighting concept improve the quality of the amenities.
Photography: Anton Brandl